Tue, Jan 10, 4:11pm by Staff Writer
As one match-fixing scandal involving an Australian tennis player erupts, another one has been brought to its end by confirmation that former pro Nick Lindahl has been banned for seven years after being convicted in a New South Wales court last year.
The Tennis Integrity Unit had waited until criminal proceedings against Lindahl had concluded over charges he had corrupted the outcome of a match at a futures tournament in Toowoomba in 2013.
Lindahl was convicted in Burwood Local Court last April of using corrupt conduct information and fined $1,000, a seemingly light sentence for his role in the scandal, which was seen as the first major match-fixing event in Australian tennis.
But the TIU has taken a much harder approach to Lindahl and banned him for seven years and fined him $47,550. The ban in itself is not significant given Lindahl has retired and has no involvement in tennis.
However, it does prevent him from even attending tennis events.
The TIU investigation also uncovered two other Australians who were involved in Lindahl’s case. Isaac Frost has already served a six-month suspension over his failure to co-operate with investigators in that he failed to hand over his mobile phone to investigators.
Brandon Walkin, who was a teenager when the Toowoomba incident occurred, was found guilty of contriving or attempting to contrive the outcome of an event, which earned him a suspended six-month ban.
It was alleged Walkin passed on information proposing to Lindahl and Andrew Corbitt that they fix a result during the tournament. Corbitt rejected and reported the advance, which uncovered the scam.
Corbitt won the match Toowoomba between he and Lindahl 6-2 6-3.
A former tennis player, Matthew Fox, was also charged and found guilty after Sportsbet reported he had won $1416 betting on the match.
Phone records found a link between Fox and Lindahl, who had spoken several times on the day of the match in question.
Coincidentally (and we want to make it clear it is an absolute coincidence), Walkin played in the Traralgon Challengers tournament last October where Australian Open boys champion Oliver Anderson is alleged to have thrown a set as part of match fixing scam.
He was said to be co-operating with authorities.
The 2016 Australian Open was dogged by match-fixing talk after a major investigation by BBC and Buzzfeed raised the spectre of fixing at the highest level and was broken on the opening day of the tournament.
There was also a lengthy investigation into a mixed doubles match at the tournament which was the centre of suspicious betting activity but no charges were laid.
Still reeling from the passage of the Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill earlier this week, the online gambling industry in Australia could be…
The likelihood that Indian captain Virat Kohli will miss the decisive fourth and final Test between India and Australia in Dharamsala, starting…
As the cost of living increases, so does the cost of living right. So says the latest survey released by market research…